Weed Control is Vital
In our neck of the woods weeds can be a perpetual problem. With the help of these 5 tips, you can really improve your weed situation.
- Avoid planting into weedy beds! Remove weeds before they go to seed.
- Do not leave soil bare: Cover it with desirable plants and mulch so weeds have fewer opportunities to get a toehold.
- When you see a weed, remove it – now. It’s easier to pull or hoe out small weeds than big deep rooted ones. Weeds are easier to remove when the soil is moist.
- Keep grass clippings away from garden beds. Lawn grass forms lots of seeds during certain times of the year, so don’t shoot clippings into your beds when mowing!
- Use mulch for controlling weeds over the long term. Layer 2-3 inches of mulch, it will keep the weeds down and if they do manage to poke through, it’s easier to pull it out when rooted in mulch than when well anchored in the soil.